Reyneke, Biodynamic Syrah 2018 Bottle size: 750ml

South Africa, Stellenbosch
In stock
Only 30 left

Critic Score

Back in 2013, Neal Martin called the 2011 Reyneke Syrah the 'best value red wine in the world'. It’s quite a statement but the best part is that it still rings true today.

Free nationwide delivery for orders over R1,500

Safe and secure online shopping with 8 ways to pay

Need buying advice? Speak to one of our experts. Call +27 21 448 4105

Orders will be shipped from our cellar within 1 – 2 business days.

'The 2018 Syrah Biodynamic was hand-sorted before being transferred into Nomblot concrete tanks for alcoholic fermentation, where 30% of the grapes are left whole bunch, the berries on stalks crushed to avoid carbonic fermentation at the bottom of the tank. The remaining 70% of grapes are destemmed. The wine takes two or three minutes to find its groove, then offers detailed blackberry, raspberry preserve, clove and wild fennel aromas, hints of bilberry jam emerging with continued aeration. The palate is medium-bodied with supple, saturated tannins and plenty of dusky black fruit mixed with garam masala and bay leaf. Beautifully defined on the finish. Stunning. Drink 2023-2038.' – Neal Martin, Vinous, 95/100 (Apr 2021)

'Tightly coiled 2018, with distinct white pepper spicing. Darker-toned ripe fruit but fresh, showcasing benefits of biodynamic farming in challenging years. As previous, some whole bunches, & old-oak matured 14 months, enhancing dry chalky impression. Deserves ageing.' – Platter's Guide, 4.5* (94/100)

'Made with fruit from two parcels on granite soils, this deeply coloured Syrah shows the class of the Polkadraai area for this classic Rhône variety. Firm, sinewy and complex, it has notes of fresh blood and fynbos, sappy tannins and layered black cherry and blackberry fruit. Drink 2022-28.' – Tim Atkin MW, SA Special Report 2020, 92/100

'What of the current-release 2018? Winemaking involved 30% whole-bunch fermentation before maturation lasting 14 months in older barrels and foudre before another three months in tank. The nose shows red fruit, white pepper and fynbos while the palate is light-bodied with fresh acidity and crunchy tannins, the finish nicely dry. It’s delicious, but you wouldn’t necessarily call it profound and the pricing is probably appropriate.' – Christian Eedes,, 91/100
More Information
Alcohol 13%
Technical analysis RS: 2.2 g/L | TA: 4.9 g/L | PH: 3.76
Variety Shiraz / Syrah
Blend information 100% Shiraz / Syrah
Rating NM 95
Winemaker Johan Reyneke
Drink to Drink or cellar
Producer information Reyneke is one of 5 Stellenbosch properties to get First Growth status in Tim Atkin's 2017 SA Report. Reyneke farm began in 1863 when it was then named 'Uitzicht', meaning 'view'. It is located overlooking Stellenbosch and False Bay with north, south and east facing slopes. Reyneke is certified organic and biodynamic and follows sustainable practices in everything they do. 'Their wines demonstrate the care they take, not infallible wines, rather honest and personality-driven wines that are distinctive, as much cerebral as sensory experiences,' says Neal Martin.
Write Your Own Review
You're reviewing:Biodynamic Syrah

Shipping information

Wine Cellar ships throughout South Africa. See our shipping guidelines below.

Available on all orders over R1,500, excluding event tickets. The expected delivery times are the same as 'Standard door-to-door' below.

Shipping fees are calculated on the delivery ‘street code’ provided during checkout.

  • Cape Town & surrounds: 1 – 2 working days
  • Joburg, Pretoria, PE & Bloemfontein: 3 – 4 working days
  • Durban & regional areas: 4 – 5 working days

COLLECTION (Cape Town only):
Orders are available for free collection at our Cape Town office only. You will be notified as soon as your order is ready for collection.

Wine Cellar offers professional wine storage at our premises in Cape Town. If you are not an existing cellaring client, please view our rates and set up an account by visiting our cellaring page.

For this special overnight road service, orders must be placed before 13h00 SAST. The order will be delivered by the close of business the following working day.

We use a third party courier for international shipping. Please contact for the rates and delivery options.

More wines from this producer

AG: Antonio Galloni of  |  AM: Allen Meadows of  |  CE: Christian Eedes of  |  DEC: Decanter  |  GS: Greg Sherwood MW  |  JS: James Suckling  |  JR:  |  JD: Jeb Dunnuck  |  NM: Neal Martin of OM: Old Mutual Trophy Wine Show  |  PG: Platter's Guide  |  ST: Stephen Tanzer of  |  TA: Tim Atkin MW  |  VIN:  |  WA: Wine Advocate  |  WE: Wine Enthusiast  |  WM: Report  |  WS: Wine Spectator